Writing Solutions: A Research Paper Rubric For 7th Grade Students
Giving a rubric to an essay is probably the hardest thing that a student comes across in 7th grade. After you have hunted down a topic, done all the research and actually written the whole research paper you can very well get stuck with the title. Many students neglect the importance of titles because they are either lazy or think that it does not really matter.
Importance of a title
The rubric is the first thing the teacher will notice about your paper. It may very well determine the reaction and eventual outcome of the assessment. So if you want to get a good grade and impress your teacher it is very important to give the right heading to your research paper. You know as they say, first impression is the last impression. So while a good title will make the teacher appreciate your creativity the wrong title will get you dislikes and poor grades.
Here are some solutions that will help you write a good rubric:
- Do not treat it as a part outside the paper. It is very much a part of the whole paper and should be treated accordingly. So do not neglect writing the title, give it the same amount of concentration as you did for the rest of the essay.
- Keep the title for the last. It is not advisable to write it before you begin your paper or midway into the paper. Since it is supposed to represent the whole paper it should be formulated after the whole thing is complete.
- The title should answer why the essay was written by you in the first place. It should give the reader the importance of the topic.
- You can incorporate a bit of the thesis in your rubric. This will portray the purpose of the paper.
- Since the title will determine whether the reader will find interest or not, it should declare the theme of your paper. If your paper is argumentative then the title should be aggressive while if it is self-reflective the title should be heavy with ponderings and poetic imagery.
- The title should in the same language and tone as the rest of the essay. You can even go through the research paper to get a phrase or a few words that will sound good as the title.
- Do not make it too long. A long title will make the reader lose interest.